8/29/2012

FOOT


Like Greeting People on a College Campus
by Victor M Adamus
 
 
 
 
I had the unfortunate experience of my blood pressure dropping to 80/67 as a side affect three days after a rather simple outpatient bead oblation mapping application but found my bp dropping drastically to the danger zone when both my doctors said to get back to the hospital which found me in ER for most of the morning three weeks ago.  This landed me a few days with young, lovely nurses hooking me up to IV’s of all types with tubes ready to draw blood and infuse drugs and medicinces as prescribed by doctors I never really met.  The process was enough to raise my  bp, at least on one level where I could take the meds at home.

At home it dropped again.  This time doctor #2 recommended his Clinic, again surrounded by young nurses who could have graduated this summer.  They all knew their stuff.  What’s to do with wiring a person to a combination of tubes and dropping down meds and drugs even if the condition was worsening  but the bp level was back on a straight line.  I was there two days and had no complaints.

Over the weekend my original Chemo doctor returned and didn’t like what my feet looked like, enlarged. He wanted me to get a full battery at his Clinic which seemed reasonable, the feet were becoming an encumbrance and scary to look at so again I was stashed away on the fourth floor for extensive testing all performed by young registered nurses who couldn’t have turned 25 at the time.  When discharged I was released to in-home care where I found the nurses to be friendly, the granny type,  at least 40 with a greater knowledge of patient care than what I received at all three hospitals.  Definitely an age difference and I bet they charge more for it.

The in-home care offers two nurses twice weekly, once a blood draw, the other worked on my body trying, in vain, to shore up my feet and legs which have taken on a proportion of their own.  I have to learn to walk again.

I think it’s great young people who get a chance at an early age to test their knowledge in a real time environment and also wished they were paid similar to visiting nurses but this is what might be a way to keep costs down.  No one can tell having this valuable, hands on, training will become to them years down the road if they stay with it.  “One step down, I’m at McDonald’s,” a rather bitter nurse remarked.  But this is a time for testing and taking on challenges and doing things not found in the playbook.

Other than working with blood samples no nurse, I saw, worked directly with blood related surgeries of any type.  So my two  cents worth is “Keep on Truckin” and one day you’ll find the pathway you need to get to a higher paying  job.

 

No comments: