9/13/2011

2011 US Open Tennis - Men's Finals

Djokovic defeats Nadal in straight sets

My wife is an avid fan of tennis and stays "glued" to the television whenever tennis matches are being aired, especially if there is a final and especially if there is a specific player she hopes will win, and the US Open was no exception to that behavior.  My late father was a tennis enthusiaste but not I, at least not since Ashe and Connors quit playing.




Yesterday, while I was grading papers from my online course, my wife was watching the US Open Tennis Men's Finals, with Djokovic and Nadal; my wife was hoping Nadal would win.  During the last set of the game, I had reached a place in my grading where I could take a break and decided to watch these two althletes play the last set of the match.  Unfortunately, Nadal did not win.  But, what really got "under my skin," was this morning, when listening to one of the "good morning" shows (not sure which one), one of the hosts indicated that Nadal was no real contestant for Djokovic.

Even though I am not a sports fan nor do I really care who wins the US Open Tennis Men's Finals, that comment was clearly wrong!  Nadal was a worthy adversary and gave Djokovic great battle.

No comments: