11/24/2011

An English Custom

THANKSGIVING 
The First Thanksgiving at Plymouth by Brownscombe
Fifty-three pilgrims in 1621 celebrated the custom of a successful harvest as illustrated in the above painting.  It is believed by some historians that 90 American natives (Indians) joined the celebration under the direction of their king Massasoit.  This custom of celebrating a successful harvest was a purely religious celebration.  It was not until 1863 that Thanksgiving was made a National Holiday by President Abraham Lincoln.  Celebrating Thanksgiving has become an  purely American tradition.

Click to enlarge
For many of us today, Thanksgiving represents a time for our mobile society to return to family and celebrate the importance of family in their lives.  It is a time to re-acquaint with relatives that have not been seen for the last 12 months.  For some, it a opportunity to return to one's roots or to give thanks for all their blessings.  Regardless of the reason that is given to be together, the celebration for most of us is an opportunity to load up the tables with food, with the centerpiece being a large, golden brown turkey.

I have faintly vivid memories of my family packing our suitcases and loading up the car every Thanksgiving for our traditional drive from Virginia to North Carolina to spend the holiday with relative on both sides of the family.  While we typically stayed in the home of my father's father, the group got so large that we had to rent a large meeting room in one of the parks in Winston-Salem.  I would venture to say that our group numbered 100-200 in size and I was introduced to so many relatives that I knew I would never see again who always said, "my how you have grown," that my enthusiasm for the celebration wanned over the years.

When I went to college, Thanksgiving became a time away from studies and to see friends that I had left behind.  When I was in the military, Thanksgiving represented a time away from family.  When married, Thanksgiving meant trying to decide to spend Thanksgiving with my family or my wife's family.  When my sister and I got divorced and remarried, deciding which direction to go to spend Thanksgiving almost became a hassel.  I recall one Thanksgiving a few years back, I went to North Carolina to spend Thanksgiving with my Dad (who was in the hospital) while my wife went to Virginia to spend Thanksgiving with her mother.  The morning after Thanksgiving Day, I was going to visit my dad and then drive to Virginia but that trip never took place because he died, and all I recall that year is that on Thanksgiving Day in hospital room, he offered his slice of turkey to me instead of eating it himself.
Thanksgiving is now a time for me to give thanks for all my blessings...
What is your reason for celebrating Thanksgiving?

1 comment:

terry said...

Awwwww, the last line got me )-: But the rest, same story here. When we were kids it was always the same, over the river and through the woods. There was security in the consistency. And now, with the splitting of families, the days of "everyone" gathered round the table, are just a distant and fond memory )-: I always thought, if I could relive just one day in my life, it would be a Christmas in Nebraska, when all members of both sides of the family were alive and we all gathered together, in love for each other. Being one of the few left, sucks, and none of us can leave that legacy to our children because things are just not the same.