3/14/2012

Earrings, Piercings, and Tats

 

We have become a nation of creative, innovative self-expression that boarders in part on a lack of self-esteem, self-confidence, discipline, and will power.  I recall during my upbringing when I wanted something that a neighbor had gotten, my parents would say, “would you jump off a cliff if they wanted to jump off a cliff?” 

At the time, I thought that was profound but the more I heard it, the more ridiculous it became . . .  “of course not,” I would think to myself, “why would you even suggest that I would do such a silly thing?” 

As I got older (and we all unfortunately will do that), I began to see that many people have, in fact, jumped off that cliff at the “role model” urging of others.

As our nation of excesses flourishes and flounders, we can see a whole generation of people who brazenly wear earrings, have piercings all over their bodies, and are colorfully decorated with all sorts of tattoos. 

Where this phenomenon started, I cannot say but I certainly do not credit the original release of the movie, Moby Dick, with starting the fad.

These adornments are not the exclusive territory of the poor and/or uneducated but can be seen in professional sports, in the theater, on the runways, in the halls of academia, on gang members and drug lords, in pulpits, in the military, law enforcement, rock stars, and on mothers who push strollers through the streets of our suburban neighborhoods.

As an artist myself, I support these body decorations and art, even though I would not do it myself.  I guess I am still afraid to jump off that cliff my parents were talking about years ago.  Plus, I have no problems with the way my body looks without them.



What do you think?

No comments: