7/02/2012

DAY TRIPPIN'


A few days ago, my wife and I decided to visit her sister (and her family) in Virginia by traveling north on I81, Route 66, then north on Route 1.  During our early morning car ride, the farther north we traveled and especially after entering the State of Virginia, we noticed that the median areas as well as the sides of the highway had not been mowed several weeks, perhaps never this season. 

As I cruised along at 80mph and with the gradual movements of the axels, my mind began wondering if this lack of interstate manicuring was because of the recession or simply because of neglect and what might other visitors coming into this State think or what I saw or would they even notice?

Fortunately, my drivers’ ed training “kicked in” and I notice flashes of light from the median off in the distance and knew instantly what to suspect, so I slowed the vehicle down and was not surprised when I passed a highway patrolman sitting in his car with a speed gun, hiding behind the tall shafts of un-mowed grass.  Welcome to Virginia, I thought to myself and spent no more time wondering why the interstate manicuring had not been done.

During our brief stay in Virginia, we did visit the National Marine Museum in Quantico which is, very impressive, to say the least and I would highly recommend that you spend some time there if you are ever in the area.

On their brochure is the following:

We surround you with the sounds, sensations, and legends of the Corps.  Even our building, designed by Fentress Architects, evokes an iconic monument – the raising of the U.S. Flag on Iwo Jima during World War II.  Did you notice that as you approached the front door?  After you explore the galleries, take a break at one of our restaurants on the second deck and then walk along the trails of Semper Fidelis Memorial Park.  There’s even a playground for the kids.  And we’re not done yet; Phase one, some 120,000 square feet, opened in 2006, and we will add another 80,000 square feet in the years ahead, with a giant-screen theater, classrooms, more exhibitions, and an art gallery…


The main area houses the Leatherneck Gallery and in a semi-circle around this gallery is:
·         Defending the New Republic
·         Global Expeditionary Force
·         World War I
·         World War II
·         Making Marines
·         Korean War
·         Vietnam War



I liked all the exhibits but especially like the Vietnam War exhibit because you could walk through a helicopter, hearing the sounds of it arriving, out into a landing zone leaving you with a  sense of awe and authenticity amidst the reality of wax figures and weapons transporting you into the soul of a war-like sensation.     For more information

No comments: