5/14/2015

Teaching My First College Class After Retiring


I remember teaching my first class for Carson-Newman University (it was College then) like it happened yesterday. 

 It was the Fall 2011 and the class was upstairs in Ted Russell Hall (The Business School) and the class was The Essentials of Management and Leadership and was a 300 level course so it was targeting Junior and Seniors although I had a suspicion that some Sophomores would be put into this class by their Advisers because there were no prerequisites.

I arrived to the classroom early (15 minutes or so) like I always do and made sure all the lights were on and all the window blinds fully opened to let in as much light as possible and the while board was cleaned by the previous instructor which it had not been, so my next task was to wipe it clean. I recall that I also had to raise the projector screen that the previous instructor had left down as well. And, my first thought was, whoever he or she was, they were using Powerpoints which meant their lecturing was no doubt boring... and, then I thought how cocky it was of me to think like that.

Before this “gig,” I had been Director of Eduction for a Proprietary School and one of my pet peeves was making sure the white boards were cleaned in between classes by the previous instructors which 9 times out of 10, those guys and gals did not perform that task either... so, I made of point of asking for a little money to pay some work study students to clean ALL the classrooms between classes.

I wanted to create the impression in the minds of all students that they were just as important as the class before them by respecting them enough to have the white board clean, all the lights on and blinds up, and the instructor waiting at the door greeting all the students as they arrived.

My classroom was like a rectangle in shape with the podium (which I hardly ever use) off to the left side which intentionally ignores the students on the left side of the room. I had 6 rows of seats with 10 seats in each row and a large aisle down the middle... for a total of 60 seats but my roll indicated that only 38 students had signed up for this class.

A few of my students arrived early and a few of my students arrived right on time, but a vast majority of my student sauntered into the class room 12 minutes after the class was scheduled to start and I intentionally waited until all my students were there... with assurance to myself that when 30 arrived, I would start the class regardless.

I printed my name on the white board and the name of the class and turned to face my students... all of whom I had previously greeted as they had arrived.

I did not smile and looked from side to side slowly and intentionally.

And then...

I walked to the back of the room and very loudly spoke my name and the name of the class and stated that if anyone was not supposed to be in this class that they needed to get out right now!!!

While standing in the back of the room, I noticed that all of my students except those that I could count on 1 hand were sitting in rows 4, 5, and 6.

I returned to the front of the room and asked the entire class how many of them actually wanted to make an “A” in this class. All of them raised their hands.

I asked them if they were sure and they all said yes.

I asked them if they were in this class to learn or to just make an “A?” And, they all said both.

I asked them if they knew what it would take to make an “A” in this class... in my class? Most were unsure how to answer that question... so, I got my roll and began calling out names and some responded and some shook their heads in a negative way, but there was this one girl, who happened to be sitting in the front of the class, and whose name I had not yet called who raised her and when I indicated to her that she could respond said, “we are waiting for you to tell us.”

Without thinking or blinking an eye, I got down on my knees and outstretched my arms above my head like a diver on a diving board might do... and, bowed down like I was bowing down to some sort of religious icon... then stood up and smiling very bravely said... “Perfect answer!”

Looking at the class I asked if they all felt this way? And, they all responded that they did.

Ok, this is what I want for starters:

I want everyone to arrive early to class because I would rather start early and leave early than start late. And, when it is time to start this class by my watch and not the clock on the wall, I will shut and lock that door and the only way that I will open it back up to let you in is if you have a permission slip for me to do so, signed by the Dean.

I want everyone to read the chapter we are going to discuss before class and be prepared to discuss. If the class is not prepared to do this, I will walk out of the class but will still hold you responsible for all the contents of that Chapter... and if and when that does happen I will make myself a note that as far as this particular Chapter is concerned that for the test, I will find something really obscure on which to test your knowledge... making it really hard to get an “A.”

I want those who really want to get an “A” to be sitting in the first 2 rows for the next class. And in row 3, I want those who want a “B” and row 4 those for a “C”, row 5 those wanting only a “D”, and in the last row those seats will be those who have a keen desire to repeat this class next semester and pay the school more tuition money.

In fact, if you think about it, it makes good business sense to flunk as many students as I can because you will have to pay tuition for this class again, and I can help the school increase its revenues which in turn may result in an increase of my salary.

Lastly, I am not a PhD so do not call me doctor or even think about calling me doctor and if anyone one of you screws up and calls me doctor because you were not listening to me now, then I will make sure that you flunk this class even if I have to change a grade or 2 to make that happen.

Are we clear?

Do you understand what I am saying and have said?

Do I need to clarify or repeat anything?

Do you have any questions?


My next order of business was to tell them a little about myself and why the school thought I should be here in this classroom teaching this subject to them. That took about 12-15 minutes and I made sure that along the way with anything that I was saying that I frequently asked for questions.

I told them that I don't do lectures and don't distribute lecture notes and that I don't do powerpoints that my classes are “hands on” and that we will learn by doing or learn by discussing and when we discuss we will drill down way below the surface unless you want this class to be taught like high school.

I shared with them that all my tests are essay and that I expect more than just a sentence or two if you want to receive an “A” and that I have no problem with you bring in examples from any other class or real world experience that you have had in order to help explain you point or idea.

And, I have no doubt that there was a lot more going on in that classroom than this little bit that I recall but I will tell you this... at the next class, all my students arrived there either before the class started or right on time, many of them (but not half of them) were prepared, and they ALL sat in the first 3 rows.

By the time that 2-3 weeks of class had passed most everyone was prepared, most everyone arrived early and most everyone participated even though all their other instructors simply wanted them to listen.

No comments: