6/08/2016

Growth Happens When You Put Yourself Outside Your Comfort Zone

By Richard Branson, Founder of Virgin Group


Challenges are a natural part of life and business. They can pop up at the most unexpected times, and rattle even the most headstrong of people. 

While there’s no way to truly prepare yourself for the unexpected, you can learn to embrace it by deliberately putting yourself outside your comfort zone and getting comfortable with the uncomfortable.

I can’t begin to tell you how of many stressful situations I have found myself in. I’ve been arrested; almost lost million-dollar businesses over night; faced death on a number of misplaced adventures; and dealt with crisis time and time again. 

While circumstances like these sound like hell for most people, I have grown to embrace them. 

I find I thrive when the pressure is on. It makes feel alive, gives me determination, and pushes me to continue striving.

But, it hasn’t always been this way.

I was such an introverted child that my mother worried my shyness would become debilitating as I got older. To nip it in the bud and bring me out of my shell, she continuously challenged me.

With her help, I got used to living outside my comfort zone, and by the time I was a teenager I started to crave highly-charged atmospheres, embrace risks and push the boundaries.

Mum taught me a great life lesson: growth happens when you put yourself outside your comfort zone.

To read the entire article, click here

No comments: